Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tipster Tuesday! STRAWBERRIES!!!


Over at BeCentsable they are hosting Tipster Tuesday!
Last week my tip was about growing your own food. I thought I would continue with that topic since spring is around the corner for us (and has made it to some)! I am READY to get out there!

Growing STRAWBERRIES!!!!
Strawberries are easy to grow and home grown ones taste fantastic! I started mine in a 3 x5 grow bed we built... with the first season growth it filled in completely. It is important to pick off ALL flowers from the plants the first year. You want to give the plants time to establish their roots and send of new starts the first year. The second year you will have a wonderful crop! You can grow strawberries in the ground or in a container.... they are flexible! Go here for a good basic article on growing strawberries.
Start small, but you can grow some of your own food! Nothing tastes as good as something you have grown yourself and you KNOW what is in it/not in it!!!!!
Have a great day!
Heather

It is 5 o'clock.... What is for supper???
To end this daily stress join me at www.simplefamilysupper.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I whole-heartedly agree! I have my own 8x8 strawberry bed, as well as raspberries, blackberries, rhubarb, blueberries, grapes, and apples (as well as a garden). Nothing beats the taste and the money saved! Gen

Amy said...

I did not pick mine- I hope that won't kill them for this year. I had no idea what I was doing :) Never good, but it as a trial and error thing for me this year doing my gardening :)