Monday, February 25, 2008

Tipster Tuesday!


I have been asked by www.becentsable.blogspot.com to join in their Tipster Tuesday! I had to really think.... I don't feel like I really do anything special.... I 'm just a good old fashioned country girl that wants to live my life with the same practical ways my Grandmother's lived..... hmmmm.... what is a tip I could pass on??? Since I am also the "Simple Family Supper" lady I am going to pass on a tip that is related to cooking. Spring is just around the corner (though as I write this it is currently snowing, again, with 4-8 inches expected....) My mind is dreaming of my garden, I am ready to get my shovel out and start working in the dirt!

Frugal Tip:
Grow SOME of your OWN food!!!! Nothing compares to the freshness of something grown in your own yard and you can't beat the price.

Now, I can just hear you thinking that is fine for me, but you don't own 3 acres like I do....
Let me tell you, I don't have that big of a garden, but you would be surprised how much wonderful produce we grow.....

Start SMALL

Use ANY space you have:
Container Gardens are wonderful!!!! Or, sneak some vegetable plants in with your flowers!

  • Tomato plants will easily grow in a 5 gallon bucket as long as they can get at least 8 hours of sun.
  • Stick a Zucchini plant in with some flowers.
  • Grow a salad in a container. (Salad greens don't need very much sun... a few hours will do)
  • Pot up a pepper plant with some flowers.
  • Be creative: Even apartment dwellers can grow one or two things!!
Watch out for interesting containers that you can grow veggies in..... just make sure to add some drainage holes in the bottom and add a few inches of a drainage material. I just heard of something a little lighter and easier to access thing than rocks for the bottom of the pot: Styrofoam. Just break up some Styrofoam into pieces for the bottom 3-4 inches of the pot... It is light weight and gives the roots the air they need. Fill the rest of the pot with a good potting soil blend. Mix fertilizer in with the water once a week.

Do you garden??? What are your plans???
Have a great day!
Heather

It is 5 o'clock.... What is for supper???
To end this daily stress join me at www.simplefamilysupper.com

6 comments:

Amy said...

I did my first garden last year and it was AMAZING to be able to pick food from my own backyard. I look forward to the growing season this year and plan to add lots more. Last year was a trial to see if I could do it (I have a black thumb). I was so proud that I did it and felt good about what I was feeding our family!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this a lot. We live in a townhouse with no yard... I was thinking of starting a garden chronicles to see how much food we could grow on our front porch and small planter area. I do not have a green thumb, but I have been reading up on it a lot and hope to start my experiment soon.
Any tips appreciated!

Marva said...

We have a garden every year. It is in the field type though. That is what we do for a living is farm. You are right, there is NOTHING like growing your own food! Great tip! Blessings!!!!!!

I am having a coupon give away! Stop by and put your name in the hat!

Britni said...

Do you have any ideas for indoor gardens? I live in an apartment and don't have any outside space to garden so any ideas would be helpful.

Unknown said...

WOW you had some great ideas. I would never have thought to try some of these things! Thanks

LBP said...

I have been a gardener for most of my 47 years. I loved helping my grandparents and parents in their garden. It is so good to see there are some very sensible younger women today. My family has lived simply and frugally for 27 years and it is such a wonderful feeling not being in debt for anything!
There are many space saving vegetables out there. Check Burpee seed catalog. They have it all

Blessings

Linda