Saturday, January 8, 2011

I've been cleaning with this recipe now for FOUR years!

My love affair with this home made cleaner just keeps going!! I keep a spray bottle with this cleaner in each of our two bathrooms and in the kitchen. It is used daily. It costs so much less to make than buying commercial cleaners and it is environmentally friendly.

Home Made All-Purpose Cleaner (it is also a great glass cleaner... we have used it to clean every window in our house in addition to lots of other places)

  • 1 spray bottle (I just use the bottle I had from the last time I purchased a windex)
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2-2/3 cup scented rubbing alcohol (I use up to 2/3 cup if I am going to use it all for windows)  *** or just use plain rubbing alcohol and add in several drops of your favorite essential oil.  I am using lavender right now, but if my husband could handle the smell of tea tree oil I would use that for the natural antibacterial properties it has.
  • Fill the rest of the bottle up with water.

The rubbing alcohol comes in wintergreen and citrus... you will find it with the other rubbing alcohol in the pharmacy section of your favorite store. Our dollar store sells it. The alcohol really speeds up dry time... no more streaks! It also completely covers the vinegar smell and leaves a wonderful mint or citrus fragrance. (I am NOT a fan of the vinegar smell... it is what prevented me from using other home made recipes.) I use this to wipe down my bathroom EVERYDAY! I also use it anywhere I would use windex and on my kitchen counters (I alternate days with bleach water).
Anyway, save a ton and help the environment!

Do you have a favorite home made cleaner you would want to share with me??

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather
What is for supper?? Eliminate this daily stress from your life! http://www.simplefamilysupper.com

8 comments:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Thank you for sharing this...I really don't like the smell of vinegar either. And...it's what has stopped me from going natural, too. I'll try this one though...sounds like a stop at the Dollar Store is in order!

tammi said...

Ever since I saw you post this the first time, I've been on the hunt for scented rubbing alcohol, but have never seen it. I'm not a fan of the vinegar smell either, but the girls use a vinegar solution to wipe down the bathroom anyway. I'd sure love to be able to mask that smell!

McGriddle Pants said...

Great recipe! I have to try this!! :)

zerolisteners said...

Is there any reason you couldn't use this to mop your floors? I like the idea of just using vinegar and water to mop my floors, but 1, I don't like the smell, and 2, I have laminate floors and am worried about them getting too wet. With the alcohol, it might not be so bad. Any thoughts?

More than Survival said...

Beth.... I don't use this on any of my wood floors... I have OLD hardwood and I have new bamboo.... I just use water for routine cleaning and I use Halloway House "quick shine" floor finish every few months to keep them looking great! Vinegar is acidic and I don't want to strip off any of the seal on our wood.... I also don't think steam is good for wood. Just my own opinions! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your blog, having just found your dishwasher soap entry. Can't wait to try it. I've been making my cleaning supplies for about 3 years now, so I just wanted to point this out for those that don't like the smell of vinegar - wet vinegar smells. Dry vinegar has no odor. When I clean with it the vinegar smell is gone as soon as the surface being cleaned dries. Give it a shot. You'll be surprised by the results.

JenL said...

I have been making something similar to this but without the rubbing alcohol. I use it on countertops and floors, it smears windows and mirrors (thant for the solution on that issue). By the way, lavender oil has antibacterial properties too.

sheila said...

If u don't mind Jen, what do u use? i can not use rubbing alcohol, i would really like to try it.