Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Choosing simplicity... one moment at time!


One Moment at at time! Living IN each moment and being sure of what I am doing. Focusing on the task and moment at hand. Choosing what I am doing for a purpose. For example: Fixing supper because I want to provide my family with good nutrition and family time around the table. Another example is taking time to just SIT in the quiet and just BE... to "gather my thoughts" as Grandma on the Walton's says. Being purposeful about what I am doing and focusing on the moment... the task at hand, not living in the NEXT moment or hour or day! Choosing Simplicity!

Taking the time to nurture and develop friendships. Slowing down life enough to ENJOY a relaxed visit with a friend. I am reminded of all the time Jesus spent WITH people, in fellowship with others. Today I was blessed to have my friend, Brook, and her children come over for a visit. Brook has been such a long term blessing in my life. We have very different personalities and strengths and I think that is one thing that makes our friendship strong... we bring different things to the table. We also have some other very important commonalities: we both love Jesus, love our families, and are both striving for a simple "old- fashioned" life. She is an excellent seamstress and makes HIGH quality cloth diapers, slings and other baby things! We used "cloth pull-ups" she made with our last two during potty training. If I could do it all over again I would cloth diaper my children. I didn't because I was able to get diapers virtually free through my sister. Visiting with her always is an encouragement to me.... isn't that why God encourages us to choose our company wisely?? We build one another up!

Today I made Depression Era Spice cake. This recipe was very popular during the depression years because it does not require eggs or milk! Brook and I enjoyed it with a cup of decaf hazelnut coffee and my husband enjoyed a piece, with whipped cream on top, when he got home from work. I have potatoes cooked to "barely tender" ready to be fried up for hash for supper. I have some "fast track" pork in the freezer from when I cooked a pork roast a few weeks ago. I will add that to the meat.... I fry it all up in just a little canola oil. I don't make this very often, but it is one of the family favorites... Here is the recipe for the spice cake:

Depression Era Spice Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups water
1/3 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 TBL white vinegar

Direcctions:
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl combine the water, oil, vanilla and vinegar. Mix the water mixture into the dry ingredients. Bake in a greased 9x13 baking pan @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. ENJOY!


Well, I am off to enjoy the WARM weather this afternoon. We have had temps in the 7o's the last couple of days, but we have to enjoy it... the weekend highs are in the mid 40's! I am going to wash and clean out our "spare" car and put it up for sale... it would go a long way to paying for the braces our oldest is getting in 2 weeks.

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

2 comments:

tammi said...

Hmmm, I'll have to try this recipe! I do love a new recipe to try!!

Oh, it's SO cold here today!! We're hovering BARELY above freezing and it looks like that's the way it's going to stay for the next week or so. {Brrrrrr!!} Thank goodness for the woodstove!

Hey, would you be interested in participating in my first ever bloggy carnival next Tuesday? I think it'd be right up your alley.

On Purpose said...

Yummy...I love to visit your site...it always warms my heart and feeds my belly with great ideas!

Love to you!