Monday, November 10, 2008

Choosing Simplicity... homemade Christmas

Sewing nightgowns! My daughter (pictured) and my niece are going to get matching night gowns for Christmas. I am also going to make matching night gowns for their dolls. It will be an ultra frugal project as well because I am using a king size flannel sheet set I got at a yard sale for $3 to make it all!!! (They are SO soft, and in perfect condition!)

I spent yesterday afternoon learning how to make a basic peasant top and then I expanded the length to make this (pictured) night gown for my daughter. I made it out of a sheet I had picked up at goodwill. It turned out great for my first one! If you have any sewing skills (and let me reassure you, mine are not much) you can do this. I used this tutorial, but DON'T cut out anything for the neck... only cut out for the arms! I made that mistake with my practice shirt.

I got my inspiration for this from Eyes of Wonder. If you have never visited her blog you are in for a treat!!!

For more wonderful homemade Christmas ideas visit Proverbs 31 Living and ValleyGirl.

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

3 comments:

Abbi said...

Very cute and I am sure they will love having ones that match for their dolls! That is neat you are able to use a sheet for the project.
Thanks for joining me for a Homemade Christmas!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Its just darling. Love how you repurposed a sheet to make this lovely old time nightie.

Smiles,
Lea

Mom2fur said...

I learn something new most every day, and you've taught me two new things...flannel sheets can be recycled for nightgowns, and you can make a nightgown from a peasant top pattern! You are too clever!