Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yummy!

I made this cake for our desert. It is about the 5th time I have made it... we LOVE it! It is a recipe that was popular during the great depression because it is milk and egg free!!! Also a great recipe for those with egg or milk allergies. It mixes up quick and it is soooo moist and yummy it doesn't need a frosting! My chickens are still on their winter "vacation" so I am forced to buy my eggs again... wow has the price of eggs gone up (from about 2 years ago when I last bought eggs)! As we all know the price of milk hasn't been going down... this recipe fits the bill for me!! Enjoy!

(The great depression era) Spice Cake
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 cups cold water
1/2 cup canola oil
2 TBL white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1) In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, soda, salt and Spices.

2) In a separate mixing bowl mix together the remaining ingredients.

3) Stir the water mixture in with the flour mixture till smooth. (I use my whisk) The batter will be thin.

Pour into a GREASED 9*13 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack! Enjoy!!


You might find it odd that this recipe calls for vinegar! I did...until my Mom explained to me the purpose of the vinegar. Combined with Baking soda it is what makes the cake rise. You will notice that when you pour the water mixture in with the flour mixture it will bubble.... just remember those volcano science fair projects!



It is 5 o'clock.... What is for supper???
To end this daily stress join me at www.simplefamilysupper.com

No comments: