Thursday, July 31, 2008

Recipes from the past

From my great book find yesterday I thought I would post a couple of recipes. I have always made Baking POWDER biscuits, however, according to this book during the westward expansion Baking SODA biscuits were a common food. I haven't tried them, yet.... I will!

Baking SODA biscuits
Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 sour milk (to make sour milk put 1 TBL vinegar or lemon juice in measuring cup and add milk to get the 3/4 cup. Allow to sit 10 minutes to curdle.)
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 TBL melted shortening
milk to brush tops of biscuits

Directions:
1) Mix flour salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
2) Stir in shortening and sour milk until a soft dough forms. Add more milk ij necessary.
3) Roll dough out on floured surface to 1 inch thickness. Cut out rounds of dough.
4) Put biscuits so that sides touch on a greased cooking sheet. brush tops with plain milk.
5) Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned

Hardtack anyone?? You always hear about it but I have never made it or tasted it..... I have to say they don't sound very appealing without the bugs that so commonly infested them! Here is the recipe:

Hardtack
Ingredients:
3 cups flour
2 tsp salt
1 cup water

Directions:
1) In a large bowl mix together the flour and salt.
2) Add water and stir or work with hands to blend.
3) Knead dough, adding more flour if mixture becomes sticky. Turn our on a floured board.
4) Roll the dough into a rectangle 1/2 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 3 inch squares. Using a larg, clean, nail poike 16 holes through each square.
5) Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until brown. Store in an airtight container.

Now the next recipe sounds a lot better! I will make this one in the fall..... I know it is going to smell great baking!!!

Gingerbread
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup molasses
2 eggs
1 TBL ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup boiling water
2 3/4 cup flour

Directions:
1) Cream butter and add surgar, molasses and eggs.
2) Mix in spices and baking soda.
3) Stir in half of the water, then half of the flour. Repeat.
4) Pour batter into a greased 9x13 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or utinl center springs back when touched lightly.

Well, I getting off the computer to get busy here at home. I feel so incredibly blessed to be a stay at home mom and homemaker. I am blessed to have a job that allows me to work from home and be with my kids (and save on gas money and childcare)! I thank God for giving my hubby a great job that supports us so I can do this!

Anyway, I am off to feed animals, work in the garden, PICK peaches from the peach trees, bake bread, make a HUGE batch of zucchini bread, make a double batch of supper (one to give away to a new mom), and sew up a hooded baby towel for a baby gift and keep the laundry going...... Sometimes my plans for the day are a bit much.... Oh, well.... one of my favorite sayings: If you don't aim for the target you will miss it every time! My target for today: FOOD prep and some garden preservation, and practicing hospitality.

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

It is 5 o'clock.... What is for supper???
To end this daily stress join me at www.simplefamilysupper.com
Sign up for the free Simple Family Supper Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SimpleFamilySupper/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw your posting on LafayetteMoms - glad to have you join us. Today I'm trying your crockpot pulled pork recipe - so happy to not heat up the kitchen with the oven. Would you be willing to post your Zucchini Bread recipe - a friend gave me some baseball bat sized zukes that are begging to be made into bread. Thanks,
Gale