Saturday, June 7, 2008

Keeping things simple.. in the kitchen

The crock pot is my SECRET WEAPON!!! Seriously. It is my weapon against stress and it fights off wasted money I might spend in the drive through. If I get supper in the crock pot I don't have to think about it the rest of the day...no lingering stress of "what is for supper?"! It saves us money because I know supper is waiting at home.... deters the temptation to eat out. The crock pot also saves us money because it turns even the toughest cuts of meat into a tender, melt in your mouth, meal.

Today I have one of our favorites cooking away in the crock pot. All I will have to do for supper is toss a salad, set the table (well the kids will do this) and pour our milk.

Here is the recipe that I have cooking: (It is on the sample menu for Simple Family Supper):


Sneaky Beef and Bean Enchiladas

***Crock Pot or Oven*** 6 servings

They are sneaky because no one will know there are beans in this dish! Kids won’t complain!

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef or turkey (I am married to a hunter so I use ground venison)

2 cans Mexican style chili beans

1 can diced tomatoes (can use diced tomatoes with chilies if you like more spice)

1 package soft tortilla shells

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Crock Pot directions:

1) Brown the meat in skillet cooking on medium heat and stirring often. Drain the meat from the grease.

2) Pour beans, one can at a time (un-drained), and tomatoes into blender. Blend on high till completely liquid. Add to meat. The beans add fiber and protein and no one will know!

3) Mix together beans and meat. Set aside.

4) Cut tortilla shells into strips (about 1 inch by 3 inches, but don’t have to exact)

5) In bottom of crock pot pour in ¾ cup of meat and bean mixture and then add a layer of sliced tortilla shells. Add more meat and bean Mixture, sprinkle on some cheese and another layer of tortillas. Repeat till all remaining ingredients are added finishing up with meat/bean mixture and sprinkle cheese on top.

6) Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or on high 1 ½ - 3 hours.

Oven Directions:

1) Steps 1-5 are the same except layer ingredients into a baking dish.

2) Bake at 350 degrees (uncovered) for 30 minutes or until bubbly


Side suggestions: Low fat sour cream, bagged salad, baby carrots



Give this recipe a try sometime!

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

It is 5 o'clock.... What is for supper???
To end this daily stress join me at www.simplefamilysupper.com
Join the FREE Simple Family Supper Yahoo group today!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love my crock pot, too! I will be trying this recipe - thanks for sharing it!

Country Girl said...

Sounds yummy. I usually use my crock pot once a week and more in the winter. ~Kim

Wendy said...

That sounds really good...thanks for including the oven directions; I don't use my crock pot much. Although I may try it more this summer since it doesn't heat up the kitchen as much as the oven. I will definitely be trying this one!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

My crock pot is one of my very best friends! My husband gets home at 3pm when we are just finishing our school day. I love having a nice hot meal ready for him. Such a joy. And now I have a new recipe to try!

Thanks so much!

I am bit delayed in making your butter recipe. We had a bit of a "medical detour" but I'm all ready to try it in the morning and can hardly wait.

Blessings,
Lea

tammi said...

I LOVE meals like this, but don't use my crock-pot all that much for some reason. Every time I do, I think I should do it more, and yet, it doesn't seem to happen. Once our girls are a little older and both involved in school and some extracurricular stuff, I can see myself needing to use it more. Especially since my oven doesn't have the 'time bake' feature.