Sunday, October 12, 2008

Good bye, Frank!

Frank, our feather-footed rooster, is no where to be found. He has been missing for FIVE days. His mate (how they understood that they were a matching pair is amazing when he had 25 hens to pick from) is still here. Frank rarely left her side... he would even often stay inside while she laid her egg. They were such a cute pair to watch and I was looking forward to hatching out some of their eggs next spring.....
We are believing that Frank died a hero's death. We have lost a total of 15 chickens to the coyotes this last month (I now finally have them all safe and sound locked up in their pen.) I believe that Frank did his best to protect his beloved, and she did get away. Good bye, Frank! You are missed! (We are also missing the other 14.... definitely missing the eggs..... I won't be letting them out of their pen any time soon.)

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

3 comments:

tammi said...

Oh no! Poor Frank!! Dang coyotes. Those would definitely be an issue around here, too, if we ever decided to raise chickens.

Nancy M. said...

I'm sorry for your losses! I have lost a few guineas to some predator, just not sure what. I lock my chickens up at night, so luckily they are safe. I feel bad for your hen. Poor thing.

Unknown said...

Oh, Heather, I'm sorry. It's not just about the eggs, now is it?