Monday, October 19, 2009

Fresh Pumpkin!! Pumpkin Cobbler


This week I cooked up my FIRST ever fresh pie pumpkin. I had always thought it would be so hard... wrong!! EASY!! I have now done two. First one yielded 5 cups of mashed pumpkin and the second gave me 8 cups. With the first pumpkin I made a yummy new to us Pumpkin Cobbler recipe. My husband gave it 5 stars and made my day by saying it was the BEST thing I have ever made!! I froze the second batch for future use. I compared cost and it is cheaper to make the fresh. I purchased my pumpkins for $2 each. We liked it so much that we are planning on adding it to our garden crop next year. Does anyone want me to post instructions on cooking fresh pumpkin?

This weekend I also canned up 7 pints and 8 quarts of cubed butternut squash to use over the winter in anyway I would normally use pumpkin. We do love our pumpkin, but FREE butternut squash is too good to turn down!! I have been having a great time canning new things in my new caner.... ahh the simple things that make me so happy!

If you like pumpkin you will have to give this recipe a try... I got it from Chocolate in my Cranium. (Congratulations to her... she just had her EIGHTH baby last week!!) We will be making this cobbler several times over the winter!! This cobbler does bake for a long time but doesn't take long to mix it up... definitely worth it!!

Super Moist Pumpkin Cobbler
Ingredients:
6 eggs, beaten
3 cups cooked pumpkin (or use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
2 1/4 cups sugar (I used 2 cups of brown sugar and it was PLENTY sweet.. could reduce)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. cloves (I did not use this much and I also added a few dashes of nutmeg)
1 spice cake mix (I used a yellow cake mix and just sprinkled on some cinnamon and cloves)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

Directions:
Mix eggs, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices. Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan. Sprinkle cake mix over the top. Pour melted butter all over the cake mix. Sprinkle nuts on top. DO NOT MIX. Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 40 minutes.


Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

No comments: