Thursday, January 22, 2009

Choosing Simplicity.... starting first thing in the morning!

If there was a magic pill to make life simple we would all take it... since there isn't, we have to face the facts that simple life is created by all the little choices we make.... one by one, the little things add up. What we choose to do, NOT do, have and NOT have, say and NOT say, and on and on is what determines if our life is simple or crazy. Life happens, it is how we choose to respond to life that determines the "rest of the story".

One of my real life role models is my sister. She hasn't had an easy life, they have faced many medical, health and financial challenges throughout their marriage. However, she NEVER lets things get her down and keep her down. She faces life and realizes her attitude is key to survival!!!! She wakes up with determination to make the best of EACH day! She comes out stronger each challenge she faces (though I know she would love to have some time without any more challenges!).

Choosing Simplicity: Starting first thing in the morning!! The first hour or two of the day set the tone for the rest of the day. Choosing to start off with a good attitude (whether you feel like it or not) gets the day off going right. Starting the day on the right note is VERY important to me.... I'm not always successful, but it is so worth it! When I stick to my "morning routine" it is amazing how much I am able to accomplish!!!!! I have been working on going to bed earlier and getting up by 5:30am. My kids get up by 6:15 so this gives me 45 minutes to get myself ready and to spend some time with my husband. (My hubby is a NATURAL morning person and is very chatty in the early hours.... it is very good for my marriage to spend time with him in the morning... if I wait to talk to him till the evening, he won't remember half of it!)

What can I do now that will help me later?? This one question has made life more simple for me. If I have a few minutes to spare I can do something NOW that will help me LATER! I am a natural procrastinator, so this has been a BIG change in my thinking!!! Starting my morning the night before (by having things organized and getting to bed early) make mornings much smoother.

My goals for the next week are:
  • Continue to get to bed before 10pm
  • Get up by 5:30 am
  • Spend time with hubby before he leaves for work
  • Be dressed and ready for the day before the kids leave on the school bus
  • Give my kids the gift of a cheerful and smiling mom..... the older ones are gone all day and I only have an hour with them in the morning... make it a good hour!
  • Spend time in the Word and in prayer after the big kids get on the bus and while the little ones are playing.
  • Exercise... even if for just 10 minutes each morning!
Do you have any goals for your mornings??? Join me and others at Biblical Womanhood!


Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Attitude is so important. You are right that starting the day off with a good attitude can make such a different.

Hope you have a great day!
Karen

Anonymous said...

just found your blog and really appreciate it..thanks!