Wednesday, September 14, 2011

10 ways to CHOOSE SIMPICITY everyday!

Choosing Simplicity is just that.... a choice.  It has nothing to do with where you live, marital status, how many kiddos you have or how much money you have in the bank.  It is daily choices made in the living of life.

We have a quote hanging on our fridge right now (I wish I could remember where I got it so if any of you know please let me in on that)..... 

The HAPPIEST people don't 
HAVE the BEST of everything.....
They MAKE the MOST of everything!

I think that sums up life... it is all in the attitude.

Anyway, I came across a list from a post I did at the start of 2010 and realized how relevent it is for me today so I tweaked it a bit and am re-posting it below.   

10 Ways to CHOOSE SIMPLICITY 

I have put a lot of thought into our family life and am being very deliberate about these 10 choices. I really want to continue to CHOOSE SIMPLICITY for our life... not get so consumed and busy with the ways of life that I miss out on ENJOYING life!!! Life is so fleeting and living life in the moment, in the day is going to be a huge priority for me. I don't want to look back and regret that I didn't cherish these precious days...

Life is just plain hard... just plain complicated. Creating a 'simple life' is actually more like swimming up stream. It requires deliberate fighting of this worlds current. It isn't easy, but it is worth it. As we have done some changes in our lifestyle over the past year I have found that change isn't easy, but rewarding.

As 2010 brings in a new decade I have to face the reality that this is my final decade as a mother with all my children at home. When this decade wraps up my oldest two will be in college and my youngest two in their last high school years. These next ten years are going to fly by... I am going to live them DELIBERATELY!!! It starts NOW!!

10 Ways to CHOOSE SIMPLICITY Everyday
(some of these may work for you, others may not... living deliberately is living in the way that is best for YOUR family)

  1. Live DELIBERATELY: Choose what I do, and what I don't do, based on mindful and prayerful thought and purpose rather than randomness or based on cultural expectations. Requires understanding what to keep and what to toss in our schedule, home and heart!
  2. Rudder hour is precious: The first hour of the day sets the tone for my remaining hours.... it steers me in the right direction! Guarding this hour and spending it wisely is key. Getting up an hour before my children so that I can shower, dress, pray and reflect in QUIETNESS and without disturbance will give me a chance to get a fresh start on the day without immediately feeling behind.
  3. Re-focus/ re-commit to my daily and weekly routines. Rather than thinking "I'll do that later" my mantras have to be "Do it now" and "What can I do now that will make things easier for later"! Flylady has been such an inspiration (and answer to prayer) during the last 6 years (my flying anniversary is January 2004). I have pulled out my control journal and have written up fresh routines. The CREATIVE person that I am has a hard time with feeling confined to routine, but in the end I have so much more peace when I stick to the schedule!!
  4. Use up or re-purpose what I already have rather than buy more. This will not only help to reduce clutter, but will save money. I will continue to focus on creating home made gifts (this allows me to tap in to my creative side). Really evaluate any and all purchases to see if there is anyway I can make due without it or create it from something I already have.
  5. Focus on being a CON-SERVER rather than a CON-SUMER. This somewhat ties into #4, but goes a step further... it is an attitude of the heart! It is about reducing that "want, want, want, need, need, need" pulse that beats so strong in our modern world. It is also about being a wise steward of the resources we have and using what we have to the fullest. (and not filling up the landfills)
  6. Minimize the belongings in our home. Stuff comes with such a cost... keeping it clean, organized and functioning. It also costs money to acquire, maintain and replace. So much of what we have we do not NEED. Evaluating our 'stuff' and shaving off the unnecessary extras will make daily life easier... it is so much simpler to pick up one basket of toys rather than three!
  7. Maintain a low level of "Screen Time" in our home. Screen time sucks the life out of developing creativity and being an active participant in this life God has given. It is SO easy to let the hours slip away in front of the tv or computer. Over Thanksgiving break we had a NO screen time week and since then have been very conservative with our screen time. The results: more creativity, more family time, more games, more music, more baking, more laughter... more LIVING!!
  8. CHOOSE my attitude and my actions based on walking out the fruits of the Spirit rather than following how I am feeling. Feelings are so fickle and not at all reliable. The fruit of the Spirit will never let me down. I will TELL myself how to act rather than be swept away by emotions. I will also SMILE more.... smiles are a gift we give to others that is usually returned. I am going to LAUGH as much as possible and focus on GENTLENESS!!
  9. Self-sufficiency Skills: Pick a few to improve on and a few to learn. The day I stop learning is the day I will stop living..... there is always something to learn and always something to teach to my children!!! I am NOT raising future children, I am raising future adults who will need life skills!!
  10. Take time to enjoy life each day. Slow down and enjoy moments with each of my children and my handsome husband! They are gifts from God, gifts to be cherished, nurtured and loved. Find pleasure in life, celebrate and flourish in the moments of life that make up the memories we hold dear in our hearts!

What do you think??  What ways do you "choose simplicity"?  Does simplicity seem like a dream that will never come true or are you living a more simple life??  I would love to hear about what works for you or what you do off of this list of 10.....

Have a BLESSED day,
BE a BLESSING!!!
Heather

5 comments:

Cozy Seaside Homemaker said...

What a wonderful post! I want to print it out! Thanks for these wonderful reminders!

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

I've never heard of calling the first hour of your day the "rudder hour" and how it sets the tone for the rest of the day. I love that! It's so true!

tammi said...

You know I love this list and the accompanying tips!! I really need to either print it out or repost it on my own blog. (would you give me permission? I'd give you full credit, of course! Maybe we could call it a "guest post?")

And we're moving it the right direction, I think. The 'Man and I had a long talk the other night about wanting to learn to love what we have instead of constantly wanting more. We want our lives to be about relationships in our family and in our church ~ not about STUFF. We want lasting top QUALITY in our life, not temporary, material quantity.

I bought Tsh Oxenreider's book "Organized Simplicity" and it's been quite inspiring. Haven't DONE many of her suggestions, but I'm working on getting things in place so I can start implementing some of her strategies.

As for adding new self-sufficiency skills, we have a rabbit now. "The mother of all meat rabbits," if you will... ;)

Leanne said...

I liked this post, Heather! I "keep things simple" by really evaluating my purpose for doing things...and putting some priorities as FIRST, no matter what... I've had so much more peace in my life since I started attending bible studies that don't have children☺ that's my way of focusing in on the Lord and the needs of others, besides my own family. We also keep things simple my limiting the amount of activities our children can participate in☺☺
I just LOVE that you are writing your blog more!! thank you!

buy rift account said...

Wow! such an inspiring post.=D