Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Getting the house ready for winter and PUMPKIN PIE bars

Fall is here. Whether I want it to be or not. Denial only lasts so long. I am a SUMMER gal and try very hard to enjoy fall and winter. Actually fall isn't so bad in and of itself... it is beautiful. However, it is just knowing that winter is around the corner that gets to me. Really, I am TRYING to enjoy winters and last winter was my best one yet... attitude does go a long way (and also taking vitamin D helps a ton). OK, enough of my whining! :)

Winter preparation was what my handsome husband and I did yesterday afternoon. Took out the window air conditioners, cleaned out the wood stove and chimney, made sure all the hoses were put up, lit the wall furnace unit, changed the furnace filters and ran the big beast (ancient) furnace for a 20 minute warm up. We don't run the big furnace but a handful of times all year... the thing goes through gas like crazy. But it is comforting to know it does run.... back up is nice.

Baking is such a wonderful way to warm up the kitchen and fill the house with delicious aromas! No candle in the world will compete with the warm fragrance of freshly baked bread or yummy treat. In the fall and winter I love to bake with pumpkin. It is yummy and nutrient packed. One of our favorite pumpkin treats is Pumpkin Pie Bars. If you like pumpkin pie you are sure to love this finger licking good-hold in your hand- bar!


Pumpkin Pie Bars
Ingredients
2 eggs

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup oil

2/3 cup canned pumpkin

3/4 cup flour

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp cloves

(I'm sure you could just use 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)


Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350
Grease a 12x8 pan OR a pie pan (I used the pie pan because I don't have a 12x8 pan)
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs.
Stir in sugar, oil and pumpkin mix well.
Stir in flour and spices.
Bake for 20-25 minutes (until set in the middle)

Cool (or eat warm like we did).
They will hold their shape very well and are easy to eat! We ate them with cool whip on top! YUMMY!!



Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

No comments: