Is it possible to be both frugal and practice generosity and hospitality?? To stay on budget and still prepare a meal for a friend? YES!!! I believe 100% that as Christians we are called to practice hospitality and sharing. Tomorrow I share about a very passionate subject of mine: that God created us to NEED friendships. God has called us to love one another. A meal is a wonderful way to show and express love and care. I also know that God is our provider and if he is calling for us to be generous (which he is) then He WILL supply all of our needs!!! You can not out give God.... He will always make a way!!! .
How to be both Hospitable, Generous and Frugal:
- Make big batches of food. If I am taking a meal to someone I will just make double of what I am making for our family. If you are having quests over just make double to serve.
- Stock up on loss leaders so that you have a supply in your pantry to prepare from.
- Give a treat. If you don't want to make a complete meal a loaf of home made bread is a BIG treat for most people. Also, dropping of a desert always shows love. You can also invite friends over for desert and cards... this is one of our winter time favorites.
- Never turn down help. If you invite friends over and they ask what they can bring have them bring a side or a desert. I NEVER mind taking something when we are invited and it really helps cut down on cost.
- Keep the meals simple. I can not say this enough. BEING with others is the important thing... not impressing them with what you serve. Hospitality is OTHERS focused... entertaining is ME focused. Use the same frugal recipes you use with your own family.
- Give a gift from your garden. I don't know of anyone that will turn down fresh produce... unless they have a garden in full swing!
- Give a gift from you pantry.... Do you can? Do you freeze? A homemade loaf of bread and homemade jam is a real treat!
- Remember it is the HEART and ATTITUDE that God looks at!!!! A gift in love is what God desires.... He calls us to be cheerful givers. Don't give out of DUTY!
I believe in keeping things simple!!! Give my sample menu a try... they are easy to double, have some friends over and practice hospitality! www.simplefamilysupper.com
Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!