Monday, November 29, 2010

One last stroll down summertime memory lane

I am a summer loving gal that is trying really hard to choose contentment with the cold winter months. So far this year we have been blessed with a warm fall and start to winter. Today the high is in the 50's... not bad at all!! However, before I completely give in to the winter months I just have to look back at summer one more time and remind myself that every season has good things. Winter has lots of time for BAKING! :)

I enjoy lots of time in the garden, and we spend a ton of time sitting on the front porch on summer evenings. This porch was added just this spring. The old needed replaced and we totally love this east facing porch. It is a nice shaded place to spend time together. We hope to one day put a roof over it and make it a covered porch. One thing at a time... no debt!

Out back was our sweet corn patch. It was 12 rows wide and 100 feet long. We were able to raise enough corn for 5 families to 'put up' for winter. My sister, Melissa, and I shared a special day together doing our 'putting up'.
We tried doing it a new way this year and loved it. We cut it off the ear raw and then cooked it after we cut it off. So much easier and so much less mess. We decided that this is the way for us.

A funny story about my sister and my youngest son, Nate. Nate is in kindergarten this year and is learning so much so fast! He is a budding reader and LOVES to write. Wednesday, before Thanksgiving, Nate wanted me to sit down with him and make thanksgiving cards for my sister and her family. He asked me to write down all of their names so that he could copy them down on his card. He copied everyone's name except my sisters. "Mom, you need to write down Ant Allissa's name for me." " I did sweety, it is right here... see, it says 'Aunt Melissa'". "But Mommy, that is not it... that starts with a 'M' ''". Yes, I replied as I sounded out her name... M-e-l-i-s-s-a for him. Nate looked at me, his eyes HUGE. "Her name is MMMelissa???" His whole life he had never heard the M.... he really thought her name was Allissa! SO cute! So he kept practicing saying this new name to try to get it right! LOL! On Thanksgiving he worked really hard to remember, but my sister told him that she loves "Ant Allissa" and that she wants him to call her that forever.... their special name! My kids have all had cute ways of saying her name and Melissa is a peach for making Nate feel so great.

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather
What is for supper?? Eliminate this daily stress from your life!
www.simplefamilysupper.com

No comments: