Friday, April 3, 2009

Our Quiet Counrtry Life is not so Quiet anymore...


I live in the middle of some of the most fertile farm ground in the whole world. Nothing but corn and soybean fields stretch for miles and miles. You can see in the background of the picture how there is just field after field! It is beautiful! (I know that some would disagree, but I LOVE being able to see so far with NOTHING in the way!)

Things are in the process of changing. Not only will we be living in the middle of corn, but also now surrounded by WIND farms! Wind Turbines (hundreds of these HUGE things) will be put up all year. They have started construction and our little quiet community is bustling with dump trucks, semis, excavators and trucks.... the roads are destroyed and they work around the clock (with stadium type lights) as long as the weather cooperates. You can go here to read a news article. It is a great thing for the environment and the farmers that own the land are making great money leasing space in their fields. However, we only own 3 acres so no turb1nes ON our property... thus no monetary profit, just a lot of CHANGE!

I am struggling a little with this. Please pray for us. My husband really is not liking this and we are hoping the the value of our property does not go down. I feel bad for being upset... wind energy is so good for our environment, but it is totally changing our area!! I will post pictures as these HUGE things start going up..... Right now it is all ground work and closed roads.


Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

7 comments:

tammi said...

Oooo, I can certainly see how the construction would be exciting but yeah, also the fears of property devaluation. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

I'm sure looking forward to the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! We just recently found out that the 10 acre parcel we were going to build on was the site for a 500,000 kilovolt power line. Talk about disrupting our plans!

I can so understand what you are going through. I pray that the turbines (other than construction part) will not disrupt life as you know it. May not be as pretty to look at anymore, I know.

Leanne said...

I can understand your hesitation, Heather....
I don't know if I could do it. The sheer monstrosity of those turbines kind of freaks me out...seriously, I can't look at the ones when driving near Kentland...its just too much for my eyes.
On the other hand, the boys LOVE to watch them....
Keep us posted.
Leanne

Samantha said...

I will keep you and your family in my prayers, God will take care of you.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

EEK! I would hate the looks of those things disturbing my view! Soon after we built our home, the land across the field was sold to a developer, so now we have a huge subdivision off to our east. Yuck.

Cyn said...

I so understand how you feel. I live in ND and there are alot of them going up all around us. When we look out our kitchen window we now see 10 of them out in the distance.

I also agree 100% with loving a view with nothing blocking it.
I'll be keeping your family in my prayers.

Barb J. said...

Change is never easy, even when it is good for the environment. I'm sure the stress isn't helping you any.