Last night I whipped up a batch of oatmeal cookie bars while the pizza dough was resting (15 minute quick rise). These cookie bars are easy, yummy and a *little* healthy. At least I like to pretend ... eases the guilty conscience .... that cookies with "good for you" ingredients are some how a little good for us! Surely I'm not the only one out there that does that!! :)
Here is the recipe for you.... I must be on an oatmeal kick because last night the pizza crust I made included oats and last week I made my favorite Oatmeal Spice Cake. mmmm.... I must really be feeling bad about all the chocolate we consumed over the holidays!!
Oatmeal Cookie Bars
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening (I use Coconut oil to replace shortening or you could use all butter)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (I like to use "white whole wheat")
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups raisins or dried cranberries (optional) (I like to use a blend of the two)
1) Blend together the butter, coconut oil (or shortening) and sugars until creamy and fluffy.
2) Mix in the eggs and vanilla
3) In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. gradually mix into the creamed butter.
4) add in the oats and optional raisins.
5) Spread batter into a greased jelly roll size cookie sheet (the kind with sides) and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes depending on how done you like your cookies. ENJOY!!
***** Just FYI..... These cookie bars freeze really well and make a great addition to packed lunches or snacks on the go. I just freeze individual bars in their own baggie for quick grab and go convenience.***