Friday, September 25, 2009

EASY and frugal coffee cake!!


I love this Overnight (or not) coffee cake recipe!! I have made it so many times. It does not require any expensive ingredients, is easy to assemble and is ALWAYS a hit. I also love it because you can mix it up the night before if you want and then all you have to do is put the topping on and pop it in the oven. If I don't have enough fridge space for a 9*13 pan I will mix up the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients the night before (storing the liquid in the fridge) and then quickly mixing them together in the morning. It is a flexible recipe and does not require sour cream. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy coffee cake made with sour cream, but the price adds up....

Overnight (or not) Coffee Cake
Mix together in a large bowl:
2 cups flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Stir in:
1 cup sour milk (1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice with the milk)
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Crumb topping:
Cut the following together with a pastry cutter or with two knives until well blended.
2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix and refrigerate overnight in a 9*13 GREASED baking pan. Top with crunch topping in the morning. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until tooth pick in center comes out clean. You can also just bake it right away without refrigeration. If I am going to make it the night before I prepare the crumb topping and just store it separate till morning. ENJOY!!

I made a double batch of this coffee cake ( I have posted the recipe before) this week.... trust me, it is GONE!!! I did share some with some neighbors, but we ate our fair share!!! Sharing home made baked goods is a fabulous way to bless others. I enjoy baking and I know lots of folks that love eating!!

For more frugal Friday posts visit lifeasmom.com.
Picture from allposters.com

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

2 comments:

tammi said...

Mmmmmmmm..... sounds wonderful!!

Mom2fur said...

Oh, boy, do I love coffee cake! Can't wait to give this recipe a try--thanks!