Saturday, January 21, 2012

Choosing Simplicity... Baking Cookie BARS!

Baking Cookies takes soooo long!  Cookie sheets in and out of the oven!  Ok, also, I'm not the worlds best cookie maker..... my attention deficit issues just can't handle it!  LOL!  But in the spirit of CHOOSING SIMPLICITY I give my cookie loving family cookie bars.  I know, not quiet the same, but better than nothing!

Last night I whipped up a batch of oatmeal cookie bars while the pizza dough was resting (15 minute quick rise).  These cookie bars are easy, yummy and a *little* healthy.  At least I like to pretend ... eases the guilty conscience .... that cookies with "good for you" ingredients are some how a little good for us!  Surely I'm not the only one out there that does that!!  :)

Here is the recipe for you.... I must be on an oatmeal kick because last night the pizza crust I made included oats and last week I made my favorite Oatmeal Spice Cake.  mmmm.... I must really be feeling bad about all the chocolate we consumed over the holidays!!

Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening (I use Coconut oil to replace shortening or you could use all butter)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (I like to use "white whole wheat")
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups raisins or dried cranberries (optional)  (I like to use a blend of the two)

Directions:
1)  Blend together the butter, coconut oil (or shortening) and sugars until creamy and fluffy.  
2)  Mix in the eggs and vanilla
3)  In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.  gradually mix into the creamed butter.
4)  add in the oats and optional raisins.
5) Spread batter into a greased jelly roll size cookie sheet (the kind with sides) and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes depending on how done you like your cookies.  ENJOY!!


*****  Just FYI.....  These cookie bars freeze really well and make a great addition to packed lunches or snacks on the go.  I just freeze individual bars in their own baggie for quick grab and go convenience.***

3 comments:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

It's so wonderful to have you posting again, and with such yummy recipes ;) I think I'm going to make your oatmeal cake today, with apples.

God bless!

Leanne said...

I LOVE COOKIE BARS! I can't make a chocolate chip cookie to save my life...but I can whip up some great bars!! oh...and you could easily serve those oatmeal cookie bars for breakfast! right?? I meant they have oatmeal and fruit...that's my kind of nutrition!!

More than Survival said...

Cary... Thank you for the encouragement!

Leanne.... I like the way you think!! In fact I have to admit I ate one along with my first cup of coffee this morning!! :)