Sunday, September 6, 2009

Depression Era Chocolate Cake

I'm needing a chocolate fix and want to make something sweet for my hard working husband. Problem: No eggs! Brownie mix is therefore out of the question.... Oh, yeah!! The Depression Era Chocolate Cake doesn't take eggs (or milk or butter for that matter)!!! Bingo!! It is a frugal recipe that women could make during the great depression without using precious eggs, milk and butter.... it does use sugar, but rations were saved for a special treat like this. For me it comes in handy when I am out of eggs!

Here is the recipe... I have made it MANY times and it is always a hit... no frosting needed it is moist and yummy just by itself. Just double the recipe for a 9x13 pan.

Moist "depression era" chocolate cake:

Makes a 9x9 cake.

Sift Together

1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Add

1 cup cold water,

1/3 cup oil

1 tablespoon vinegar

(you won't taste the vinegar... it reacts with the soda to make it rise)

1 teaspoon vanilla.

Mix till smooth and pour into an 8" or 9" square pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 325* to 350 degrees F.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

Have a BLESSED day, BE a BLESSING!
Heather

3 comments:

Erin said...

cool. i love the list of ingredients. i think i'm going to add this one to my roster. thanks!

Donna said...

We call this whacky cake. My mother-in-law taught her sons to make it when they were about 12 so that they could have snacks whenever they got the urge.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

I am definitely going to try this one! How smart and frugal and easy. Everything I need. :)